ATHLETE OF THE MONTH
Occupation: GSU Nursing Student
Hometown: Columbus, Georgia
1. How long have you been CrossFitting? I started February 13, 2013 at Crossfit Boro.
2. What was your first CrossFit workout?
30 Pull ups
45 KB swings
60 Ab mat situps
75 Air squats
100 DU/400 singles
*25 min. cap*
3. Favorite WOD? Favorite? It sucks a LOT but I really like works like the Filthy Fifty- constant movement for 20 minutes or more. I like workouts that have a lot of different movements, as opposed to ones that are three movements for 5 rounds.
4. Least favorite WOD? Anything with snatches! I hate them because they are my worst lift!
5. Favorite movement? Back squat. I love strength cycles! And I think we can all agree that back squats are more fun than front squats.
6. Least favorite movement? Snatches and Overhead squats. Maybe I should work on my overhead lifts…
7. Your best memory at CrossFit Boro thus far? I remember a workout we did that had burpees in it (so many of them do!) and I had been going about two weeks. My cardio was terrible, so burpees were killing me. I think I was the last person left doing the WOD, but Mindy and April cheered me on through my last set of burpees and counted them down to the last one with me. They never told me I was slacking or embarrassed me- only encouraged. That was when I knew I was a member at Crossfit Boro for the environment and the people, not just for the physical benefits.
8. Any specific goals, long-term or short-term, you want to reach at CrossFit? PULL UPS. I want them so bad! The day I successfully do ONE pull-up, I will probably cry.
9. 3 things you may not know about me are:
1. I was born in Bitburg, Germany.
2. I could eat cheese every single day, with every single meal. It makes paleo really hard, obviously.
3. I have a strange but special relationship with the wall at the Box that says “This place will change you if you let it.” When I am struggling and frustrated with my body for not doing what I want it to, it reminds me to calm down, be patient, and allow myself TIME to improve. I probably look at it at least once during every workout. I encourage everyone to use it too! J
10. Favorite CrossFit Athlete: Annie Thorisdottor. She is a BEAST.
11. Favorite cheat meal: Barberito’s quesadillas. I love Barberito’s and would eat there multiple times a week if I could eat beans, cheese, rice, tortillas… You get the point.
What the coaches think: We love Ariel. Might be one of the friendliest people you will ever meet, she has never met a stranger. She works very hard on her weaknesses and is very encouraging and sweet to other members, especially the new ones. We enjoy working with Ariel because she is very receptive to our cues and she is extremely coachable; if you ever give her homework on any of her movements that will help her out she does it no questions asked. She is also in the GSU ROTC and routinely crushes her PT tests and attributes her success to CrossFit Boro. She is engaged to be married to another member, Ian, they will be getting married this year. For all of Ariel’s hard work and dedication to CrossFit Boro we are giving her a 1 hour 1-on-1 session with any coach for free ($60 value)!! Thanks for working so hard and personifying what we look for in our athletes this month Ariel!